These are the favourite noodles in my house. Vary the vegetables according to taste and season and make the dish spicier with more chili sauce, if desired.
The chicken can be replaced by pork or shrimp.
Noodle cakes keep for two days, refrigerated.
Noodles8 oz (250 g)
fresh Chinese noodles
2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
Stir Fry8 oz (250 g) boneless chicken cut in 1-inch (2.5-cm) dice
2 tsp (10 mL) soy sauce
1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine
1 egg white
1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
Pepper to taste
4 Chinese mushrooms
1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped ginger
1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped garlic
2 oz (60 g) snow peas
½ red pepper, thinly sliced
2 cups (500 mL) sliced bok choy
2 tbsp (25 mL) oyster sauce
2 tbsp (25 mL) white wine
½ cup (125 mL) chicken stock
1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
1 tsp (5 mL) Chinese chili sauce
1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add noodles and bring back to boil. Drain noodles and stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil and sesame oil. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add noodles and press into skillet. Cook 3 minutes or until bottom is browned. Flip over and cook second side for 2 to 3 minutes longer. Place on cookie sheet and reheat when needed in 350°F (180°C) oven for 10 minutes.
2. Marinate chicken in soy sauce, wine, egg white, cornstarch and pepper for 30 minutes. Remove from marinade. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add chicken and simmer for 2 minutes or until chicken turns white. Drain.
3. Soak mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes, drain and discard water.
4. Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil on high heat in wok or skillet. Add ginger and garlic, and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add vegetables and stir fry until vegetables soften slightly, about 2 minutes. Return chicken and stir together.
5. Combine oyster sauce, wine, stock, soy and chili sauce. Pour over chicken mixture and stir together. Stir in cornstarch mixture, bring to boil, taste for seasoning adding extra soy if needed. Pour over reheated noodles.
2 chopped green onions
1 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped coriander, optional